Research is at the heart of Systems-Centered Training to see if and how the theory and methods work in practice.
A Review of Empirical SCT Research
Click here to download a review of empirical studies of SCT methods used in both organizational training and psychotherapy contexts, including studies of: 1) comparative training and work group performance, 2) SCT's central method of functional subgrouping, and 3) a pilot study of SCT for reducing generalized anxiety of clinical significance. Review by Richard O’Neill, Ph.D., ABPP, CGP.
Several research papers on the benefits of functional subgrouping have been published in recent years and more are being reviewed for publication.
- Ladden, L.J., Gantt, S.P., Rude, S., & Agazarian, Y.M. (2007). Systems-centered therapy: A protocol for treating generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy 37(2), 61-70. doi: 10.1007/s10879-006-9037-6
- O’Neill, R.M., & Constantino, M.J. (2008). Systems-centered training groups’ process and outcome: A comparison with AGPA institute groups. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 58(1), 77-102. doi: 10.1521/ijgp.2008.58.1.77
- O’Neill, R.M., Constantino, M.J., & Mogle, J. (2012). Does Agazarian’s systems-centered functional subgrouping improve mood, learning and goal achievement?: A study in large groups. Group Analysis, 45, 375-390. doi: 10.1177/0533316412448287
- O’Neill, R.M., Gantt, S.P., Burlingame, G.M., Mogle, J., Johnson, J., & Silver, R. (2013). Developing the systems-centered functional subgrouping questionnaire-2. Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, 17(4), 252-269. doi: 10.1037/a0034925
- O’Neill, R.M., Murphy, V., Mogle, J., MacKenzie, M.J., MacGregor, K.L., Pearson, M., & Parekh, M. (2013). Are systems-centered teams more collaborative, productive and creative? Journal of Team Performance Management, 19(3/4), 201-221. doi: 10.1108/TPM-04-2012-0015
- O'Neill, R.M., Smyth, J.M., & MacKenzie, M.J. (2011). Systems-centered functional subgrouping links the member to the group dynamics and goals: How-to and a pilot study. GROUP: The Journal of the Eastern Group Psychotherapy Society, 35(2), 105-121.